This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Color G

Dan Beaulieu kindly called me out on my obnoxious, oversaturated reds. In future, I think a dusting of desaturated color is in order.

Albert thought likewise. "Watch your saturation."  I guess you save it for where it will have the most impact.

Also, gotta make my grayscales as punchy as my art heroes'. Makes a big difference.  Kenneth taught me a trick using curves.  Imagine that -- an art director who can direct art!



Shae mentioned something important about "grouping values" which, basically, means keeping the integrity of your shapes while painting, so it doesn't become a garbled mess.  He also steered me away from putting contrast by the gorilla's butt, which I had done while being arbitrary.  NOTHING ABOUT THIS SHIT IS ARBITRARY.

Gabo was all, "Make that other eye darker, and make that other nostril smaller." -- a subtle but important depth cue.

Thanks, art friends.  I don't know what I'd do without you!  

No comments: