This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Nival live demo

I did  two live demos for Nival.  The first one loosely followed my Thumb War Combat Sim.  I asked everyone present to come up with 6 random nouns and 6 random adjectives, and from there we all set about designing an "unholy gong" starting with thumbnails.  A quick look at ref showed us what we were dealing with -- a framework, a surface for striking and a striking implement.  Away we went!

Disclaimer : It's a challenge to draw quickly/accurately in Photoshop with a wacom tablet, but these were the tools I brought to present with.


Our "virtual art director" chose #2, so we developed the "bat" theme with the aid of ref.


This was as finished as it got during the time allotted.  If you've seen Nival's house style, you'll know this concept comes nowhere near their exacting standards, but it worked for the purpose of showing thought process.



From here, we all got together and discussed each others' drawings.  It's my favorite kind of exercise : the kind where I'm not the only person working!  I was humbled by the amount of compelling ideas produced.  Great fun!  

For my second (and rather impromptu) demo, I sketched a werewolf.  "Beekeeper" was repeatedly suggested, perhaps to nudge me out of my comfort zone, but really, I think they were just fucking with me :)

2 comments: